40 gestures, 40 days, 40 years

Saturday, November 17, 2007

growth






















I have been wanting to do this for a long time: cover the laurel hedge in front of my house in metal leaves. It does get at my need to connect natural and artificial, adornment and necessity, made and manufactured. But I realize putting these on this kind of display is significant because I want to invite others to ask questions about what is going on, or what is growing there. Hanging them, shiny along the road, they are lures for distraction, a deliberate but passive request for slowing down and looking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristin, this really caught my fancy. I, too, am the co-inhabitant of a laurel hedge. It seems too dense a barrier for the outside world to penetrate leaving me feeling trapped. This bit of brilliance you've attached seems to navigate an openning for others to reach in --perhaps not to you physically but to themselves as they pass by.

Anonymous said...

They also somehow leave you vulnerable, which I like.

Kath