40 gestures, 40 days, 40 years

Monday, December 3, 2007

more is not more
















I would like to celebrate the halfway point of this project by cleaving the water in half. Instead I allow this insistence of rain to swell up the wood, rust the steel, overrun its ditches and culverts, and seep into my foundation.

Flow is a theme running through my work. It sums up the untenable quality of working in the psychosensitive space that is most open and creative for art, as well as the idea that this kind of energy comes when it will and takes its own course. John McPhee chronicled three examples of catastrophic flow and the humans who negotiated these undeniable forces in The Control of Nature, a favorite read.

I offer up an image of past work that has resonance tonight, a waterchime from 1991.

No comments: